Table of Contents
This extension has not been updated in over 2 years. It may no longer be maintained or supported and may have compatibility issues.
On the page you want a chat room add
You should also add the
tag also since this a very dynamic plugin.
- Anonymous users can be displayed as Anonymous or their IP address
- Notifications of people entering and leaving the chat page
- No database used
- Each chat is kept in its own file based on page ID
- Chat logs can be saved
- Idle rooms can have their logs cleared
- Commands for emotes, rolling dice, server time
Configuration and Settings
These settings are available in the admin configuration screen.
- chatretentiontimer (default: 30) - How many minutes an idle room will keep the log. After this time it will delete or save the log depending upon the savelogsflag.
- savelogsflag (default checked) - When checked the logs will be moved into a save folder and timestamped when they are cleared.
- maxloglinecount (default 2000) - When the chat room log goes over this value it will trigger the clearing method to either delete or save the log depending upon the savelogsflag.
- showanonymousip (default unchecked) - When checked anonymous users will show up as their IP address.
Chat Log Locations
An active chat room keeps the log in data/chats/log-roomname.txt
When a log is saved and time-stamped it is moved to data/chats/roomname/log-timestamp.txt
The log clearing routine is only checked when someone loads the page with the chat room. I keep the logs in the data directory so upgrades to the plugin wont delete the logs.
- Initial release
Known Bugs and Issues
- Have not tested on a very heavy load
- Operator controls
- Log Viewer
- Improved security
The idea for this came from http://css-tricks.com/jquery-php-chat/
Please remember this is supposed to be a simple chat room. There are lots of ajax, mysql, php chat rooms out there with tons of features, but they are not as easy to setup as this one. I would like to keep it that way.
That being said, If you have some good ideas or even some crazy ones I would love to hear them. I wrote this to be part of some custom plugin I am writing for my site. If I come up with some nice features in my custom one I will try to roll it into this one.
I could use some pointers on how to get an ajax module to read in a plugins configuration settings without much overhead. I did some tricks to pass info but I was pretty limited in what I could do with ajax.
2015 - Hrun
I like the idea of a simple and functional chat, but in Hrun version of DW it just show the frame. I can't wait the update :) — Florin